Wednesday, August 10, 2016

The Original Black Hat

The black hat has been my trademark, off and on, for roughly half my life. In college and my early adulthood, it was a Greek fisherman's hat. The broad-brimmed fedora -- known as the "outback" style; no, it's not a cowboy hat -- has been de rigeur since the mid-1980s. In this photo recently uploaded by my sister Pat for the "family album" on Facebook, we see its first incarnation fifty-five years ago this month.

As financial secretary for his Knights of Columbus council, Dad was chosen among those representing Ohio at the Annual K of C Convention, held that year in Denver, Colorado. He and Mom made the most of it, climbing Pike's Peak (with the assistance of a shuttle bus), and brought us back these matching fashion statements. From left to right is yours truly (6 1/2 years), my sister Mary (5 years), and my brother Stephen (4 years). Patricia was to show up one year and four months later.

I have no idea why my eyes are closed, never mind what happened to that hat. I would have loved to have had it bronzed for posterity. Of course, then it wouldn't be black.

Steve looks pretty sure of himself, don't you think?

Or don't you?
 

No comments: